Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Another Fun Court Appearance

Today I was in court for another toilet slip and fall case. So I was waiting in court, and reading the list of firm names on the calendar sheet pinned outside the court room. I am 90% sure the majority of cases being handled by most of the firms listed were toilet personal injury/construction accident claims. You can tell right away if its a toilet PI case simply by the caption...

Like

Joe Smith v. Pathmark Stores, or

Jane and John Doe v. Turner Construction, Turner Contracting, Turner Bulding Management Company.

or the ones that can get thorny:

John Doe, Jane Doe, John Doe's Step Cousin, Jane Does Sister in Law, Jane Doe's Sister in Law twice Removed, John Doe's Parent's, Jane Doe's Parents and the Doe Village v. NYC Transit Authority, NY and NJ Port Authority, NYC MTA and ABC Mangement Co.

Cases like these are my favorite because nothing really gets done until 3 to 5 years after the action was first filed! There will always be one defendant who didn't do jack shit, never put in an Answer, or never responded to everyone's requests for discovery.

As it so happens, the toilet case I'm on is in the middle of depositions...So what happened went something like this

"So my client won't be available for depositions until mid September because he's going away to...blah blah blah"

"Well I need to get his testimony now before we move on to so and so's deposition scheduled in late September. Let's do it next week"

No I can't man! I just told you why! No can do!

"What the #$%? You want me to give you another @#$3 adjournment here? We've been playing phone tag with your firm for months now over your client! If you don't produce him, we are going to seek a court order!"

"Fine, go ahead!"

"FINE!"

HHMPGGGH.

Okay, so many it didn't go exactly like that but the general feelings were there.

This is reason # 3 why practicing law sucks:

You go to court and fight with other lawyers over stupid shit like deposition dates.

Damn.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found this blog. Where are you now??
I too want to get out but don't know how. I have been cruising the internet for a miracle. How to change my job after 24 years!!!
I should be working on my billable hours...

 
At Monday, January 14, 2008 11:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...so it appears that everyone on this post is paid tens of thousands of dollars to become lawyers to know and respect the LAW...why...to help??? BULLSHIT! I am one of those "dumb asses" with a cervical sprain that didn't have the opportunity to gain a law degree and am in need YOUR HELP! We pay you every day to help us, and in my case, to help us with evil insurance companies to retrieve monies that we have paid due to their their liable drives. In addition to the irreplaceable time in which we are unable to bathe or feed or pick up or care for our children based on their drivers' inattentiveness or plain disconcern for others' wellbeing. Well, forgive us, and me in particularly. Again, you are being PAID for you services and knowledge and for your inert care for the law of the land. But, as you said above, you should be forgiven for that...and reimbursed for your time and money paid for law school. And of course, thanked and praised for your time and money spent on law school. All we can hope for is that you spent that time and money on law school to help those that truly need help...Sorry about that...Good luck and I hope that you find the MONEY that you are looking for...It is not always about MONEY!

 
At Monday, August 24, 2009 4:57:00 PM, Blogger Hello said...

I have my own law office. I hate every minute of practicing law. It's boring as hell and you are forced to deal with difficult clients and unpleasant attorneys all day. If I could do it over again, I would never have become a lawyer.

 
At Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 31 year old attorney who does ID/PI and I fucking hate every minute of it. But, it could be worse for you, you could be doing matrimonial law too like I do. If you think it can't suck more - believe me it can. I fucking hate the law, and hate the clients even more. In these divorce cases, I have to fight with clients to get paid for work that I actually did - ending up in arbitration and before a disciplinary panel (since the two go hand in hand) because a fucking client thinks I woke up in the morning to fight his/her custody battle for free

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home