Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Deposition Hell plus the Hard Numbers of Settlement

I just took a deposition in one of my toilet cases. Opposing counsel constantly harrassing me with objections left and right, interupting me at every phrase:

"this isn't relevant!". or

"you can't ask my client that!" or

"improper form!".

I am so sick of it.

In law school, I remember spending HOURS just watching attorneys conduct depositions. Meanwhile, none of my depositions to date have gone over 1 or 2 hours. Today's deposition lasted a pathetic 40 minutes. 40 minutes!!! How am I to account for my billing on that?!

What really burns me up is that the case is an absolute shitter. The plaintiff's injuries are ALL soft tissue, (no fractures) there aren't even any photos of the alleged "defective" conditions, and plaintiff's attorney thinks he wants us to fork over at least $50,000 for damages and suffering? For cripes sake, the plaintiff isn't even alleging lost wages!!

Yeah, get over it. I'll be lucky if I will even offer anything close to $10,000.

What really burns me up, our firm has budgeted about $35,000 for the defense of this case while I think this case shouldn't even be worth the paper the Complaint its written on.

Tell me again why plaintiff attorneys exist...

Oh wait, now I remember. So ID schlubs like me actually have something called a "J-O-B".

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the case is that bad, why not try a motion for summary judgment?

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MSJ, sure, on what basis?? The meds are clear on the soft tissue, and we were on "notice" of the "defective condition". This will prob be settled for peanuts!

 
At Monday, August 12, 2013 4:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Case settles between 25-35k (30 divides nicely by 3). No threshold for premises. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home