Monday, August 14, 2006

Document Review v. Ins Defense: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I've had the glorified experience of being not only a current insurance defense attorney, but also a former temp doc reviewer!!

Here is my personal list of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly on both

I. DOCUMENT REVIEW / TEMP CONTRACT ATTY

a. The Good:

1. You get paid WELL (at some projects around $40-50/hour, lowest around $20/hr)
2. You control your vacation/downtime
3. Zero responsibilities (just show up and do your job, collect paycheck, pass GO).

b. The Bad:

1. You can get canned for just frowning at a paralegal
2. You will be sitting at home for many days/weeks/months between assignments
3. At the infamous Paul Weiss, except to work under terrible work conditions (ie basement cockroaches, one bathroom).
4. Expect some associates or firm staff to treat you less than a human being

c. The Ugly

1. Do temp work for more than a few months or a year, and expect your resume to be forever branded as "Permanent Contract Attorney", diminishing your ability of getting a REAL attorney job. Of course, this might not be so bad if you really don't give a rat's ass about even starting your legal career.
2. Do enough temp work, and the idea of using your brain at work will start to feel like a lofty fantasy you entertained as a pre-law.


II. INSURANCE DEFENSE

Otherwise known as: personal injury defense/general liability/casualty defense/liability defense/general litigation, etc

a. The Good:

1. You have a JOB!
2. Your firm might actually offer you benefits! (and by benefits, I mean dental, vision, 401K, etc)
3. You might have your own office!!! Maybe even your own secretary and/or paralegal!!
4. Once in a while, you get court appearances!

b. The Bad:

1. Your salary is crappy (>55K for many entry levels)
2. Your firm might not even offer generous raises (or none at all!)
3. BILLABLES!!! Minimum of 2,000 but realistically its more like 2,200-2,400 at many firms.
4, Expect to spend all your days reading through boring or disgusting medical reports of plaintiff's injuries
5. Long hours for crappy pay

c. The Ugly:

1. Do enough ID work and you will never be able to transition to a more lucrative practice area (aka Insurance Coverage, Commercial or Business Litigation).
2. Your court appearances will revolve around Kings and Bronx Supreme..where court clerks treat lawyers like children and where you will spend your time litigating with adversaries who act like Joe Pesci from "My Cousin Vinny".
3. Partner compensation at most ID firms is barely a 1/4 that off Partners at REAL firms like Skadden, Heller Ehrman, Lowenstein Sandler, etc...thanks to CHEAP insurance company and low billing rates
4. If you're a 1st year associate doing ID, good luck in ever making 80-100K within the next 3-5 years.
5. Toilet ID Firms like Wilson Elser will be quick to FIRE you the minute your billing falls under a certain criteria.

So there you have it.

Read it and weep.

I'm still weeping.

15 Comments:

At Monday, August 14, 2006 11:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, batman. Yours truly, law is 4 losers

 
At Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a lawyer at an AmLaw 100 firm. I would prefer to be a trustifarian and work on pottery all day, but, since I have to work, I am reasonably happy with the bargain that's been struck. I'm reading your blog b/c a classmate of mine got stuck in the contract lawyering world and has had difficulties dealing. I work hard, but don't touch 2200 hours. If you can do that and run a blog, you do better on little sleep than I do.

I could say a lot about your post, but will limit it to this. I've never heard the term "toilet firm" but from my contract atty. friend. He uses it a lot.

Avoid the phrase, if you want a job at something other than a "toilet" firm.

BIG LAW partners are essentially solo practitioners with their own practice which they conduct under the auspices of an umbrella BIG LAW LLP. Their lives are not easy and they don't get "paid" x dollars; they make those dollars and the salaries of all those who work for them.

The moral for you is this - You tell a hiring partner that you work for a "toilet firm" and she's going to recognize you as an employee who intends to cash payroll checks rather than cut them. She will identify with your boss, not you.

 
At Thursday, September 04, 2008 2:00:00 PM, Anonymous gimmecoffee said...

"I'm a lawyer at an AmLaw 100 firm."

I guess you needed to state that to separate yourself from thousands of lawyers working at the toilet law firms or stuck in doc review jobs like your friend. Point noted. But what you miss is this blogger's obvious point that she realized after working for these toilet firms what they are: crapshoot! She's NOT saying that she's going to go around and "tell a hiring partner that you work for a 'toilet firm'" when she speaks to her own boss or goes on job interviews as she's trying to get away from these firms!! Duh!

 
At Friday, August 28, 2009 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Temp Hottie said...

LOL I love "you can get canned for just frowning at a paralegal..."

 
At Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly enjoyed this great article. Kindly continue this exceptional job.



Here is my homepage ... xerox phaser 8560 ink

 
At Friday, May 17, 2013 3:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mind if Ι quote a couple οf your articles as long as I prοvide credit and sources bacκ to youг
webpage? My blog site is іn the eхact same arеa of intereѕt as yоurs
and my vіsitors would certainly benefit frоm some of the information you
provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Regards!


Also vіsit my web site Statsie.Com.outerstats.com

 
At Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This printer does not have a voltage pick switch. It is sold as
a 110 volt model or a 220 volt model. To convert the printer from one model to the other, you would
certainly have to switch out both the electric supply and the fuser.
At the very least it merely didn't power up. If you had relocated the printer in the contrary direction, it would probably have actually gone bang and/or tripped out the whole office.

My blog ... Xerox Phaser 8560 Driver

 
At Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Containers for sharing HP Laser Jet 1010 Motorist,
I truly need it.

Also visit my blog; xerox phaser 8560 color printer

 
At Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This printer does not have a current pick change. It is sold as a 110 volt model or a 220
volt variation. To convert the printer from one variation to the other, you would certainly have to replace both the power provide
and the fuser. A minimum of it merely didn't power up. If you had moved the printer in the opposite direction, it would most likely have gone bang and/or tripped out the whole workplace.

Also visit my blog; www.nepalmelbourne.com

 
At Wednesday, June 05, 2013 4:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much !! Problem solve with Samsung ML-1520 on Win8 64bit.

Great!
Several introductions from Germany.


My web site: Xerox phaser 8560Mfp

 
At Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I'll
check back later and see if the problem still exists.

My weblog :: xerox 8560dn

 
At Friday, June 07, 2013 7:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think thiѕ is among the moѕt
important іnfo for me. And i am glad reading youг aгticle.
Βut shoulԁ remark on some gеneral things, The websitе style is great, thе articles is really nice
: D. Good job, cheers

my web-site ... facebοоk contаct number (facebook.com.bd)

 
At Monday, June 10, 2013 3:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you can do this IF your Christmas card list has data
source layout AND you know the best ways
to work with Mail Merge in your word processor. Otherwise, this is the drive for my pointer.
Yes, it takes some time in advance the very first year, but then it is cake.


my web blog; xerox phaser 8560 manual

 
At Monday, June 10, 2013 4:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pz tell which 1 is best Samsung-UA32C4000PM
or LG-32LE5300 ?

Look at my page LG 42ls5600 TV

 
At Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there every one, here every person is sharing these
knowledge, so it's nice to read this web site, and I used to go to see this blog daily.

Here is my webpage: LG 42LS5600 Review

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home